Many seniors have found themselves ready to move to an assisted living facility or perhaps downsize to a smaller home or apartment in the San Antonio area. Problems arise when they encounter difficulties selling their current home. The following information provides the best ways for a senior citizen to sell a home.
Best Ways To Prepare To Sell A Home
There are a few steps to take to make sure a home has the best chance of selling as quickly as possible in San Antonio.
- Make the Necessary Repairs – It’s much easier to sell a house that doesn’t need any major repairs. Most people would rather pay a little bit more and buy a house that is ready to move into than to have to worry about making repairs, even at a reduced price.
- Remove Clutter – Seniors have had many years to accumulate a lot of items. Everything from pictures of children and grandchildren to knick-knacks received through the years often fill counter tops, shelves, and tables. While these items may be precious to the owner, having excessive personal items can make the home appear messy and disorganized.
- Price the House Competitively – Trying to make even a little bit of money on a home by over-pricing will simply make the house more difficult to sell. Seniors may factor in what price they “need’ to get when selling a home as opposed to the true market value of the home.
Looking for a hassle free way to sell your house? We buy San Antonio houses while offering flexible solutions.
- Is your house vacant? In need of repairs? Is it just plain ugly? No problem! No job is too large!
- Must sell your house quick? Need to move? Relocating? Job loss? We can buy it in a matter of DAYS!
- Facing foreclosure? Behind on payments? No problem! Foreclosures are our specialty.
- Considering bankruptcy? Owe liens? Title problem? We know creative ways to solve these problems.
- No equity? Trouble selling? Divorce? No problem! We are here to buy your property.
- Need to settle an estate sale? Death of a loved one? We will help put this behind you quickly.
- Tired of being a landlord? Bad tenants? Eviction troubles? We will solve your problems.
- Don’t want to move, but in a financial bind? We have rent-to-own and equity sharing programs that help you to stay!
Tips For When a San Antonio Home Hasn’t Sold
Here’s a short list of tips and strategies for homes that have been sitting on the market for more than 30 days.
- Rent Out Your Home – Renting out a home doesn’t necessarily mean the owner has to move out. If the home is large enough either the upstairs or the downstairs can be rented out. The home could also be turned into a duplex. This way the owner can stay in the home while obtaining an income from a renter.
- Take Out a New Mortgage – There are several options available here. If it can be afforded, an individual may want to take out a home equity loan. If paying a higher monthly rate isn’t possible it may be a good idea to renegotiate a loan modification plan.
- Postpone Selling the Home – If a home is on the market during the winter months, especially the month of December, selling can be extremely difficult. This could also mean taking new, high quality photos of the home and writing a compelling home description when putting the house back on the market.
- Find a Good Real Estate Agent – It may be a matter of finding a real estate agent that understands the needs and issues related to senior citizens. Certain agents may have experience with the Housing for Older Persons Act as well as a variety of senior housing options that are available.
When it comes to selling a house there are no guarantees and market conditions can change without warning. Following these few tips, however, can help seniors prepare their home to make it more marketable. If the house isn’t selling there are still several options available.